Subject: Re: Limitations of having 50mm as my only lens/Elmarit-C
From: Brian Levy <dlevy@worldy.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:32:12 -0500

At 07:32 PM 1/28/97 +0100, you wrote:
I do find the Summicron C to be both an excellent lens and an excellent
compromise between the 35 and 50. My CL has the 50 brightline and on several
occaisions I've considered getting the 35 (=s the full viewfinder of the CL)
and a 50, but then I think again about carrying the extra glass.

I like the 50 as a standard lens. Possibly because I've used so many cameras
without interchangable lenses which had a 45-50mm lens. Many people don't
care for the 50 for various reasons but usually it comes to something like
'I'm here and I want more (less) in the picture so I change lenses.' It is
easy to just move forward or back. Of course there are reasons to change the
focal length such as near-far relationships. This is not to imply that other
focal lengths are not usable, but I have found to many don't learn to use
what they have to the fullest. I'd start with the 50, learn it and its
limitations and move from there. My 40 and 90 combo are right for me. I've
been using those ranges for almost all of my photographic life.

BTW, if you are still open to suggestions, you may want to consider the CL
as an alternative to the M series. It has been a great reliable system for
me with excellent results. But then I am not a professional photographer and
therefore don't put the strain on the equip that a pro would.

Oh, has anyone ever seen the Elmarit-C 40mm. I was of the understanding that
it was not put into production. I've seen photos and it looked very
interesting since it was more compact than the Summicron-C.

>Will maybe try to find a 40mm, its very small, either a Elmarit-C f2.8 40mm
>or Summicron-C f2 40mm. It may be interesting for you to see what you could
>get a 40 and a 90 against the 50 you have?? But nothing wrong with just
>using a 50 for a while H C-B did OK with it!
>
>brgds
>
>Mel

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.