Subject: Re: Beginner's set?
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:50:03 -0800

Alan Chang wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I'm interested in acquiring a Leica (screwmount or M) for street
> photography.  I would like it to be as small and portable as possible.
> Can anyone give me some advice?  I've checked out Hans Pahlen's Leica M
> Page, but couldn't seem to be able to find any info on screwmounts ones.
> Any pointers?

I am not a fan of the Leica screw mounts because they are all such a
bitch to load.  if you get past that though, they are inherently more
interesting than the M's because of all the little gizmos you get to
play with.  Nostalgia R US!

From an M standpoint, by far the cheapest and one of the best shooters
is the generally underappreciated and very undervalued Leica CL.  you
get the smallest Leica M body, TTL metering, access to either screw
mount or modern sharper optics, all at a rock bottom price.

Not a bad combination, not bad at all.

Stephen Gandy