Subject: Re: Beginner's set?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 22:31:53 -0500

Now that the IIIf's are pursuing the IIIg's into the collector's
stratosphere of pricing, the IIIc becomes the most affordable prospect.
Here's how it might work from any of a zillion dealers:

IIIc body with minor brassing, &c, E condition          $225
APDOO self-timer                                          50
GEISS Kontakt (for flash synch)                           15
Summitar 2/50 lens                                       100
Series VI adapter for above w/SVI lens hood               10

$400 for the set, and it will almost certainly NOT go down in price during
the time of your ownership!  For $50 or more extra, a Summicron can be
substituted for the Summarit.

I most strongly recommend you start out with a 50mm lens on a Leica.  Once
you're comfortable with this lens in all its complexities, you can then
branch out to wide or long-focus as your interests are -- but, with a
thread-mount, you'll need an auxiliary VF.

For auxiliary lenses and VF's, of course, I strongly recommend used Russian
gear.  Cheap, dependable, and rugged -- and outstanding optically.  But you
guys have heard my sermons on this topic before!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!