Subject: Re: XTOL and TMAX 100 (was "what the hell is...")
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 21:55:01 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Dan Cardish wrote:

> It appears that the high-lights are thin, implying underdevelopment.  I
> exposed the film at an EI of about 80, developed in XTOL 1:1 for 10 min a=
> 20=BA C.  The same results for two separate rolls (one 35mm, the other 12=
0).
> I have also used XTOL with HP5 film, following Kodak's recomendations, wi=
th
> excellent results.  It is only with TMAX that I am a little fearful of us=
ing
> it without further testing.
>=20
> Since sending the original post, I went and printed one of the negs.  I g=
ave
> about 20% less time then my "standard" printing time, and used a 3 1/2
> filter on Multigrade IV (I usually try to print with 2 or 2 1/2 filters).
> The print appeared surprisingly good.  The grain is much less noticeable
> than similar negs with D76, but the accutance does not appear to be as hi=
gh.
> However,  there is a smoothness in the tonality that I usually see only i=
> medium format.
>=20
>=20
Please note that Kodak made a big mistake in their instructions.
They have the wrong Celsius conversion from the F temperature. The
tech person on their 800 number warned me of this before he sent the
technical sheets. Someone goofed up at Kodak. This could cause
underdevelopment if the C is used instead of the F. This is in the
rotary tube instructions.
I cannot find it in the tank instructions. Ed Meyers