Subject: Re: Kodak/Ilford consistency; was X-mas Tree Test
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 09:39:23 -0500

At 11:03 PM 03-02-97 -0700, Ben wrote:
> Do you have any
>>experience with below-lens filters on V35?
>>

>Below the lens contrast filters will only hurt your prints. They can easily
>soften a print or worse throw the focus off. Better to use the filters in
>the head.

For years I used the dichroic filters in my enlarger for my B/W contrast
control.  Then one day I picked up an Ilford "student special" set of their
Multigrade filters and discovered them to be a revelation.  You really don't
have to adjust printing times (at least for most prints) when changing
filters.   No more guessing what to dial in to the colour head to increase
the contrast (I never found the tables published by Ilford to be
particularly accurate).   I make it a point to take care of them (buy the
mounted filters and keep them in the box when not in use),  and I focus with
the filter in place.  I have not noticed any degradation in image quaIity.

As an aside, one of my better prints was made in a workshop held at a local
school.  The filters that I used were in terrible shape, but they added
something to the print that I have never been able to duplicate.

Dan C.