Subject: Re: Shopping for Leicas in Kathmandu
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 19:19:23 -0500

At 12:18 PM 2/4/97 -0800, Mark Bergman wrote:

>About three months ago I tried selling a minty IIIF RD on the net with
>very little success for $575. Had been CLA'd and was very very nice.
>Finally sold it for $450.  Either the net isn't a good place to sell
>(which I beginning to believe) or the really price is around $450.

Sure.  That's the precise point I tried to make.  A non-dealer will almost
certainly NOT get these prices, but quite a bit less.  A private sale
generally nets 80% or so of the public value, a wholesale transaction
(selling to a dealer) about 2/3.

In any event, the Net is a great place to buy, often, but rarely a good
place to sell, in my three years' experience.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!