Subject: Shopping for Leicas in Kathmandu
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 08:26:25 +0545 (+0545)

Hello to all,

        Many thanks to all who responded with prices and advice.  The asking
price for the cameras is between two and three times the going price in the
US it seems.  The cameras are being sold by an antique shop and I suppose
they expect that some rich tourist will come by and pick them all up as they
are not willing to bargain on the price.  This is unusual for Kathmandu as
it usually is a good place to buy used and new cameras of all types - except
Leica.  The other day I priced out a new Nikon F5 - Kathmandu $2,100,
Bangkok $2,300 and this seems to be less than the prices I have seen so far
in the US.  I am not always in touch with what is going on outside.

        All in all it was an interesting exercise as I did learn more about
Leicas, especially screwmounts, and got to play with some interesting
equipment. Perhaps I will stick to shopping for budhas.   Again, thanks to all.

Ian Stanley,

Kathmandu, Nepal