Subject: CL/CLE
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 07:21:41 +1100

>The Noctilux f1.0 should *not* be used on the CL. Use of the 90mm
>Summicron f2 >is also proscribed. Again, I dunno why. Anyone
>know why?

David,

I think these lenses have too little DOF for the shortened rangefinder base
of the CL to focus with the accuracy required by a Leica. This would also
explain in part why they should be stopped down. Mind you I've only ever
held the Noctilux on an M3, but would find it a bit of a dead weight on
front of the svelte CLE and the bulk of the lens would further obstruct the
viewfinder.

Cheers

John,

I use the CLE with its 3 lenses. The clarity and beauty of the images drove
me away from the Minolta SLR and into the arms of "poverty". The question
of the CL/CLE is a frequent one on the LUG and I have begun to gather a FAQ
list together. May not make it to my April edition but if the weather cools
down you can never be sure. The flash is truely TTL and works fine with all
PX Minolta flash units. It has its own flash unit, but mine gave up the
ghost. The real pain of the CLE is that Minolta have abandoned it :-( and
so my beautiful little flash unit lies in pieces!

Alastair Firkin
Feb Edition now out!
http://www.netconnect.com.au/~firkin/AGFhmpg.html