Subject: Re: Roger! Stand Up!
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 20:35:12 -700

On  9 Feb 97, C.M. Fortunko wrote:

<snip>

> Incidentally, isn't "gaff" really spelled gaffe. (I don't have my
> big Webster here.) I have to admit that I, also, missed the spelling
> error. This is because there is so much bad spelling and grammar in
> this computer age.

Yep, it is spelled gaffe. Interesting, sibce I have automatically
spelled it the way I have seen it in print, i.e. "gaff". Geez, I
hate/love this language!

> I probably will never get the R8, or R7, because their computer
> codes may contain spelling errors. I have heard that the older
> lenses can be "upgraded" to the R8 standard. However, there is an
> incompatibility between the older two cams and new ROM module.
> Frankly, I never expected this sort of thing from Leica. My "diesel"
> 180mmm Elmarit still only has two cams and will probably never see
> the ROM. Somehow, I trust mechanical cams more than puny
> microcicuits whose settings might be altered by alpha particles,
> EMPs, and the like. Just kidding...

I guess Canon and Nikon have proven that electronics, after
sufficient time for adaptation and the resultant evolution, can,
indeed, be reliable. I sold out of the Canon EOS 1n, however, and
went Leica M6 and R6.2 simply because I didn't need AF and AE, and
was getting lazy using it.

> How is the light in Arizona?  Have you made any decisions in regard
> to using your 100mm APO with 2X APO?

That's the nifty thing about AZ. The morning and evening light is
good to excellent about 90% of the time.

Yes, I'm on the lookout for a good used 2X APO Extender from the
usual good sources. That, I can afford, but how to manage the 4/280
APO after that is the problem.  :-)
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer