Subject: Re: internet charges (off subj. but could be very important)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:42:36 -0800

Scott:

Was at a computer conference a couple weeks ago and heard the president of
Pacific Bell give a speach and he emphasized the need to begin charging for
all the useage.    Said things used to equitable (read: they made lots of
money) before internet calling.

To be fair, he did say that before he Joined Pac Bell he was with a company
working to provide internet service and lobbied for no use fees.

He said the fees were necessary to keep up with technology and expand the
wiring and so on.  Of course, right now I'm paying 6 cents a minutes to send
this note, since it is on a business line.

but can you imagine the profits in 6 cents both ways, 12 cents a
minute???  That is $7.20 an hour x 24 = $172 a day PLUS the standard
fees for both lines.

The telephone companies are supposed to be regulated for our good, not
theirs.

Donal Philby
San Diego