Subject: Re: Takeup Spool
From: colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:57:58 -0600

Alan Bearden wrote:

> At 08:18 AM 2/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >I am looking for an older gadget for M series Leica.
> >There was sold an accessory for the wind spool in M series leicas for quick
> >The old spool was removed, and the new one inserted.  With the new spool
> >you could quickly load the film onto the take-up spool without removal.
> >The item made the M3 as fast to load as a M4.
> >
> >Does anyone have the correct P/N for the spool?
> >

> >Thank You
> >Frank Filippone
> >red735i@worldnet.att.net
> >
> >----------
>
> I don't have the number, but there is a problem with the Quick-Load takeup
> spool for the M3.  The entry slot must be positioned to feed in the film
> rather precisely.  This is done by pulling out the spool via a knurled
> knob in the center.  The problem is that this knob is recessed and is
> difficult to grasp.  In my hands, it is a tossup as to whether the Quick
> Load is any quicker than than the standard removable takeup spool. Of course
> it does save the threading operation and is somewhat less likely to get lost.
>
> Alan Bearden

I don't know the number either, but the on the one I have the knob on
the spool drops down when the bottom plate is removed making it easy to
pull out.  There is also a part that attaches to the baseplate to align
the film.  I haven't installed it yet, but I'm planning on putting it in
an M2.  Loading still wouldn't be as fast as an M4.  I guess there is
more than one version of this.  It may be possible to install an M4 or
M2R spool (by a technician).   Anyone know more about this?

Colin