Subject: Re: handgrip
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 97 22:12:24 -0800

>I just don't understand this thing about having to have a hand grip. If you
>want a hand grip, buy a Nikon F5 or another representative of the new
>motorized vunderplastick generation of cameras. Go all the way. In my
>opinion, the M cameras are too big already. If only Leica would make an M
>the size of a IIIf or, may be, IIIg.
>
>The best thing about this grip is that it may save your base plate from
>damage due to tripod mounting. IMHO, this new grip looks and feels cheap.

I know nothing of the new plastic grip that Leica is selling, but I
purchased one of the alloy M-Grips while traveling in europe last summer.
It immediately made my M4-P an easier camera for me to use in every way.
I don't like using a neckstrap, it gets in my way, but the Leica M
doesn't give me an adequate purchase on the camera to just carry it
without any strap at all like I do my Nikons. I used a baseplate attached
wrist strap with the M for a bit and that worked ok, but I still found
that holding it steadily and securely was a challenge. The M-Grip worked
wonders to make me feel secure about holding the camera.

The Leica M is somewhat large and heavy compared to my compact 35s, I
don't think the 40g of the M-Grip added all that much to it at all. For
reasons that are mysterious to me, I find the chunky, smaller lump of my
Rollei 35s and Contax TVS fit my hands better than the M without the
M-Grip installed, and I have relatively large hands.

Whatever makes the camera easier for you to use, go for it. I see no
downside.

Godfrey