Subject: Re: Probs of Accurate Grading
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 03:46:28 -0500

   From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
   Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:50:02 -0800

   Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:

   > When looking at Don Chatterton's ads for Leica equipment, do you ever find
   > yourself wondering just what the difference is between "exc++", "exc++++",
   > and "exc+++++++"?

   Actually, no.   but then I have bought, sold, and looked at,  a LOT of
   Leicas.

   You have a good point about the problems of accurate grading,
   but everyone has that problem, not just Don Chatterton.

Thanks for your thoughtful message -- I wasn't really trying to make a
point about accurate grading, so much as about calibration.  I don't
know how many pluses after "exc" would be the maximum number, and
seven is more than I had expected to see (but he really does use seven
sometimes -- check his collectibles Web page if you don't believe me),
so I don't know how to understand the gradings.  How many pluses can
there be after an exc before you get to mint-?