Subject: 60 quality vs now
From: rlocurto@pccsite.com (Ruth Locurto)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:21:22 -0800

Hubert Nowotny wrote:

> Stepehn,
> Yes, ceertainly. It should.
> The quality issue _is_ a shame, definitely. People near to Leica talk
> about production costs (M6J completely handmade in many, many hours;
> mourn ...).
> But how to tell your manufacturer if people buy (relatively!) lower quality at
> high prices? And M6es sell as they are produced (as I hear), no piece
> left over.
>
> Sad, indeed.
>
> Hubert
> > Legendary Leica quality of the 50's and 60's and turned into just a
> > legend for the 90's.
> >  I know of no other camera manufacturer which charges roughly 4
> > times the normal body price for a camera which has the high standards
> > that ALL of its cameras used to have 40 years ago.
> >
> > The M6J should not be a special M6.   Rather it should be a standard M6
> > at a reasonable price for everyone.
> >
> > Stephen Gandy
> >
> * Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
> * A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
> * Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
> * hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/
Repair people I have talked to say Leica camera and lense build quality
was best in the 60's with the shutters allowing more accuraate timing
and the bodies and lenses having more brass and high quality metals and
engineering. Now the lenses are slightly better and the bodies are
lighter, and of course newer which add's to their usefullness as user's.
Anyone care to comment? Advise? Cheers