Subject: Re: 60 quality vs now
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:10:49 -0500

At 09:21 PM 2/19/97 -0800, Ruth Locurto wrote:

>Repair people I have talked to say Leica camera and lense build quality
>was best in the 60's with the shutters allowing more accuraate timing
>and the bodies and lenses having more brass and high quality metals and
>engineering. Now the lenses are slightly better and the bodies are
>lighter, and of course newer which add's to their usefullness as user's.

This has been discussed on the LUG a number of times.

I suspect there is more than a bit of bare nostalgia in all this, and that
current gear is actually as reliable, or more so, than older gear.  The
replacement of metal by plastic does not, in every case, reduce the
longevity of the gear:  if the part is non load-bearing, it may actually
reduce weight and, say, sensitivity to temperature extremes.  The
substitution of steel for brass is not, in itself, evil:  the steel may well
be tougher, more durable, and more resistant to impact damage.  Und so
weiter:  the mere substitution of materials does NOT make a modern item
cheaper or less long-lived than its predecessor.

The M4, especially, was almost infinitely adjustable in its innards.  It was
made so because Leitz, in those far-off days three decades back, recommended
an annual CLA.  Today, these adjustable parts have, in large measure, been
replaced with non-adjustable parts:  if they are no longer in spec, the
entire assembly is replaced.  This is preferable for those of us who USE our
cameras so much that we don't want them in the shop two months out of every
year.

I think we all have to give Leitz/Leica some credit:  they have been
manufacturing the basic M Leica for more than 40 years, now, and ought to
now what they're doing.  They sell a quality product to a discerning
audience (a-HEM!), and surely we, of all folks, wouldn't still be using
Leica if the cameras were no longer of the first water!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!