Subject: Re: Leica M: object of desire?
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:31:24 -700

With alacrity, Erwin Puts wrote:

> Reason for writing this email is the latest piece of text in
> Viewfinder.  <snip>

Some comments, Erwin, on your recent post.

Certainly you wouldn't argue with the right of LHSA to publish
suggestions on M improvements, regardless of their origin, correct?
LHSA is exactly what its name says, no more, no less. LHSA
certainly doesn't propose to speak for all of Leicadom [sic]. There
are analogs of LHSA in other countries who may and do express
opinions on same.

Are you sure that there aren't binocular collectors out there? I'll
bet you a dinner in September 1998 (when I hope to make Photokina)
that there are. Perhaps not as visible and numerous as Leica
collectors, but existing, nonetheless.

I really am puzzled by the obvious negative feelings that are held by
so many shooters of Leica toward Leica collectors. (This feeling,
btw, is not reciprocal) The only reason that is even remotely
plausible is that the "collector is responsible for the high prices".
Rubbish! The high prices are attached to the collectable models. If
you argue that the M3 would be in the hands of many more shooters if
it were not for the price, I'd grant that, in only a numerically few
cases. The market for the shooters is much better satisfied by the
ubiquitous M6. Prices of current production M & R equipment are quite
close to those of "top of the line" equipment from Nikon and Canon.
The differences that do exist are easily understood when production
quantities are taken into account.

Lastly, please don't blame us for what you interpret as too much
attention paid to the U.S. marketplace and their opinions. The U.S.
has, for decades, been the dominant economic force in the world. As
this changes, or, at least, as economic parity is approached
thoughout much of the world (happening rapidly, I might add),  the
world *will* and *is* becoming less North America centric. Given
time, I suspect that the world may be using Chinese as the
international default language instead of English.

I, personally, am happy to be a user of a photographic line of
products that is prized enough by non users to be collected by them.
It maintains and furthers the Leica mystique. That mystique is what
enables and encourages a niche player in the 35mm market,such as
Leica. Of course, Leica's new "public ownership" may change the
market dynamics driving them in the near future. I believe that it
already has.

- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer