Subject: Re: Leica M: object of desire?
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:05:22 -0500

Erwin Puts wrote:

> Reason for writing this email is the latest piece of text in Viewfinder.
> The LHSA persons who talked to the Leica people gave their ideas/advice
> about future directions of the M and R line.  None of their suggestions
> are new, commercial viable or make the M a better product.
SNIP...

1) Erwin is a great LUGNUT. I'm glad he contributes.

2) I spent well over $8,000 just before Christmas to buy an M6 and three
lenses (35&24 ASPHs, 90 2.8) almost entirely on the optical strength of
the M system. This equipment will be used only to take pictures
"professionally" for lobbying efforts my aviation-related trade
association is involved in on Capital Hill in Washington, DC.

3) I appreciate the equipment, to a degree, as a collector would. It's
beautiful stuff, beautifully made, etc.

4) I would have bought a Contax G-2 with several lenses instead, for
half the cost, in a heartbeat, if I believed the pictures that that
system was capable of producing would have been superior to the M stuff.

5) "If you build them they will come" If Leica continues to produce
leading-edge optics and cameras (including an M7 please), sales will
follow, as will collectors. If Leica only follows the advice of
collectors, the competition will savage them and they will fail.

My two cents.

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland