Subject: Re: Small tripod for travel
From: Andrew Morang <a.morang@cerc.wes.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 97 10:21:09 -0000 (CST)

I would like to recommend the Linhof Profi-Port tripod.  It is a
squat, sturdy unit with fat legs, definitely not a toy.  It is more
than strong enough to use with medium format cameras, too.  When
folded, the Profi-Port will fit in a suitcase, handy when you need to
check your luggage.

As for a head, the Linhof Profi II is great:  rigid and precise.

Unfortunately, like all the beautiful Linhof things, price is high.
The Profi Port is about $270 in New York; the Profi II ball about
$280.

I have not had much success with the Bogen tripods;  the controls are
sloppy and they get sloppier with age.  The heavier units are OK, but
they gain steadiness with mass and bulk, not with precise
engineering.  Gitzo, Linhof, and Cullman Titan are much more refined.

Andy Morang
Vicksburg, MS