Subject: Re: Leica M: object of desire?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 10:38:33 -0800

Erwin et al,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Leica rangefinder camera gained so much
success initially because it was on the leading edge--small, handy
compared to box cameras.  I'm not sure even quality was a factor, although
present.

The M has maintained a niche market mostly because there is no other
(including the Contax G) which has the quiet operation and confident focus
indication (the G1 light just doesn't do it for me).   The Ms continue to
maintain the lead in this, despite old technology.

Today the leading edge is exposure (since most professional work is
transparency), autofocus and flash fill (vital).  These are sort of entry
level requirements to play on the field.  Few professionals have the luxury
to be precious about things.   The job comes up, we show up, the client has
changed mind, invalidating all the planning, and on the fly you need to get
the picture and deliver the film by Fedex that night.

But interestingly, the qualities of a camera that help the professional, help
the amateurs.  And I doubt any camera manufacturer could make it selling
only to professionals.

Most professionals I know don't take Leica seriously.  They view them as a
sort of combination of tractor and Rolls Royce--tough, precisely built,
rugged, hugely expensive and just not very practical as day to day
transportation.

The R8 is a bridge to the future and the quality of the new lens designs
gives me faith that Leica is not longer resting on its history.

On the other hand, the success of the Mamiya 6 and 7 shows a stong market
for basic cameras with quality optics.

So maybe between listening to the Luddites (who obsess over technical
quality and craftsmanship) and the Star Warriors (who like feature-rich
technology) Leica will evolve as a useful compromise.

I feel like I have one foot on the stable LHSA dock and the other foot on the
boat that is drifting away.  Should I just buy a Nikonos???

Donal Philby
San Diego