Subject: Re: Selgado's "Workers"
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 13:00:22 -0500 (EST)

At 08:42 AM 2/22/97 -0600, you wrote:

>  I would like to know if anyone could give me some details about the
>techniques Selgado used.  Some of the photos, reproduced to about 11x14 in
>the book, showed a very noticeable, large grain structure.  The grain seemed
>to enhance the photos.  I was wondering if anyone knows what film/developer
>combination he used to produce those results.  Other photos, enlarged to
>about the same size, seemed to show very little grain at all. Again, the
>film/developer combination likely produced those results, and I'd like to
>know if anyone knows how he was able to control that, since those photos
>looked like they were taken hand-held, which might have been very difficult
>in some of the lighting conditions available with slow speed film.

I heard him lecture on his work a few years ago.  He uses both M and R
cameras, although the M is used more often.  His films of choice are Tri-X
and T-Max 3200, hence the grain.  He does occasionally use a small flash.
Even though this lecture was at RIT, he never was asked about
developer!--Charlie
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU