Subject: Re: Selgado's "Workers"
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 09:23:01 -0800

At 08:42 AM 2/22/97 -0600, you wrote:
>  I would like to know if anyone could give me some details about the
>techniques Selgado used.  Some of the photos, reproduced to about 11x14 in
>the book, showed a very noticeable, large grain structure.  The grain seemed
>to enhance the photos.  I was wondering if anyone knows what film/developer
>combination he used to produce those results.  Other photos, enlarged to
>about the same size, seemed to show very little grain at all. Again, the
>film/developer combination likely produced those results, and I'd like to
>know if anyone knows how he was able to control that, since those photos
>looked like they were taken hand-held, which might have been very difficult
>in some of the lighting conditions available with slow speed film.
>-GH

George---
	From articles and interviews published around the time "Workers" came out,
Salgado primarily used Tri-X and (towards the end of the project, after it
became available) T-Max P3200. He shoots Tri-X at a variety of speeds, and
has it developed in any number of developers, from D-76 to Acufine. All
photos were shot with any one of several M bodies and 28mm and 35mm lenses,
and occasionally a 60mm lens on an R body.
	His current long-term project is documenting displaced peoples/refugees,
and I've seen parts of it published in Rolling Stone and the (Sunday) New
York Times Magazine; nothing recently, however. I think Laurent (in Paris)
posted a message here a while ago that Salgado had also resigned from Magnum.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.