Subject: Re: Thoughts from a user
From: Doug Richardson <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 97 13:06:18 +0000

>I also wonder why Leica are so fond of the red logo on their cameras? I
>think it is because they want to create an easily identified prestige image
>for their brand. -Look, I can afford a Leica (I am succesful in life)! As a
>user, I dislike the logo, as it makes it easy to identify me as a person
>waiting to be robbed. So, I have always put a black tape on the logo.

A very good point. My cameras are  Wetzlar era, and look outdated to the
layman, so I don't have the same problem. However, I've always taken the
view that when carried in an area with any sort of crime problem, an
expensive gadget bag is saying "Steal Me" to the local villains. I was
amused to see in a Leica store an expensive gadget bag with an embossed
text "Made exclusively for Leica".  I guess that one is yelling "For
*****'s sake, STEAL ME!"

I carry my gear in a military-surplus shoulder bag, and I know another
journalist who does the same. Such bags may look scruffy, but draw little
attention - when I worked in a factory many years ago I used the same
pattern of bag to carry my lunch and flask of coffee.

Doug Richardson