Subject: Re: IC go home reality check
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 23:40:30 -0500

At 10:58 PM 2/23/97 -0500, David W. Almy wrote:
>OK, reality check. This argument flunks the laugh test. >What percent of
the products that you buy do you honestly >expect to use for HALF A
CENTURY? Any? Do you seriously >expect to be using your computer you are
now using, in >it's present form, even 50 WEEKS from now? Do YOU expect
>to be here, and still functional, 50 years from now?

Ok, the REAL reality check.  I have been using the computer I am typing
this on for four years, and anticipate using it for another four, at least;
 I get an average of eight years use out of my hardware. I buy computers
with the idea of getting eight years of use out of them.  I do not so buy
cameras.

I do not see any reason why I will not be around in half a century, if an
angry LUG'er or jealous husband doesn't do me in -- I'm but 47, and come
from quite long-lived stock, though, to be honest, this part of your
argument escapes me.

I buy cameras to last, the same way I buy cars.  I do not purchase either
with the idea of 'getting another'.  Each one is to be my last.
Admittedly, from time to time, something new attracts me -- I did buy an
'84 Audi 4000S a couple of years back and moved to that as my daily driver
in lieu of my '57 Beetle.  But I have no plans to ever discard the Audi.
Nor do I have plans to dispose of my M6 or IIIc or even my Voigtlander
Bessa, made before my father graduated from high school.

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!
FAX:  +540/343-7315