Subject: Making pictures with the M Leica
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:00:01 +0545 (+0545)

Greetings,

        I like the idea of tricks/methods of using the M Leica.  I always
set my lens to infinity after taking a shot as then I know that I only have
to turn the lens in one direction in order to focus.  One of the best tricks
I have come across for street photography and setting exposure comes from
Fred Picker's Zone VI Newsletter #24 - April, 1980.

        In this issue he gives a description of how to find your key day
exposure.  After this exposure is determined you know exactly what the
f-stop and shutter speed will be for the brightest day where you live.  If
you look down and see clear distinct shadows - use the key day exposure, if
you look up and see fleecy clouds - open up a stop or halve the shutter
speed, if there is only a faint shadow - halve the shutter speed again and
if there are no shadows - halve the shutter speed again.  This sytem really
works but it does take a little testing - I use it for b&w and
transparencies.  I still use a spot meter in the early mornings and late
afernoon/evening and to double check when I have the time but most of the
time I guess now.  If I go somewhere new to work I just make a quick series
of readings to compare to my key day exposure as it varies according to
location.  In the high, clear mountain air of Nepal I get much higher
readings than say, downtown in some major city.  This method can be
extremely helpful if you are somewhere in rural Tibet or the like and your
meter craps out on you.

        If anyone is interested in this method let me know and I will fill
you in on the details.  Although this tip is not specific to Leica, I
suppose it does fit given the number of bodies out there with no light meters.

        I have always found any material written by Picker to be sound, well
researched, easy to use and always very helpful especially for black & white
work.  You might still be able to order a complete set or individual
newsletters from Calumet as they have taken over Zone VI.  I have learned
more about photography from these newsletters than any photo magazines -
they are great.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu Nepal

PS - thinking of spelling and spell checks - "i souport publik edekasion"