Subject: travel pod...
From: Michael Hintlian <102144.2651@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 24 Feb 97 10:47:23 EST

From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:24:42 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Travel pod....

> >The Profi-Port weighs about 4 pounds and packs to about 18" without a head.
> >
> >MH
>
> Michael...how tall will that  Linhof tripod go?   Nowell
>
> Chapel Hill, NC
>
> Although love may fail, courtesy should prevail.

Is the Linhof tripod you mention the one which gets its height
with two long center posts? If it is, I also have it and find
that you must be careful of shake when extended. It's a good
one, however. Ed Meyers

Ed Meyers and Nowell...

The Profi-Port does have a center column extension (another section of column
which screws into the top of the standard center column...it stores neatly in
the underside of the center column).  With the extension on, the height to the
top platform is 60.5 inches (45.5 inches without the extension on but with the
center column fully extended).

Ed, I was initially concerned about possible shake using the extension, after
using the tripod (a lot) I have decided that the lower center of gravitiy and
the rigidity of the tripod itself seem to counter that concern in actual use.
While a tripod is not part of my daily working kit, I am very fussy about
anything I use, even infrequently.  This tripod changed my attitudes about
tripods having to be MASSIVE to provide adequate support...a very nice tripod.
By the way, I have a great Gitzo 326 (still new in the box) that stays at home a
lot...which might get sold because of lack of use.

Best.

MH