Subject: Re: Snobby Leica
From: "Peter Jon White" <pjwhite@tiac.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:41:07 +0000

> Don't get me wrong, I own an M6 and I love it. It is however the Leica myth
> that gives rise to a certain snobbery,...

> Can anyone out there please enlighten me on the special qualities of the
> Leica lens??

> --Adi

Greetings,

In my opinion, lenses from Leitz, and the better lenses from Canon
and Nikon produce images which are indistinguishable from each other.
While there are plenty of folks who claim to see some special quality
in images made with Leitz optics, I'm not aware of any double blind
testing having been done to prove Leitz's superiority.

To me, the limiting factor in image quality these days is the size of
the negative. I think the better 35mm optics are far superior to the
film we have available. If there is some superiority to Leitz lenses,
it's probably only measurable on an optical bench. If you can't
capture the image on film, because of the limitations of grain, what
difference does it make?

The images I get with my Canon F-1 are every bit as good as those I
get with my M4. However, I prefer using the Leica whenever possible
because of the way it handles and it's small size. The M4 with a 35
Summicron fits in a much smaller space than the F-1 with the Canon
35mm FD lens.

On a related note, there is a lot of fuss made by some about how
wonderful some lens or another is at full aperture. While shooting at
full aperture may make for an interesting effect at times, and may
make it possible to get any image at all in some circumstances, most
of the time it results in an image in which most of the subject is
out of focus due to narrow depth of field. What good is all that
resolving power to anything in the image that doesn't happen to be
right on the plane of focus?

Peter Jon White