Subject: Re:The Acid Test
From: Lucien <100774.527@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 25 Feb 97 04:31:35 EST

Bob R  wrote:

<Shouldn't the decision whether Leica (Solms) should produce an electronic M7
<vs maintaining the mechanical M's be based on which of these models would
<produce the highest quality negatives and maintain accurate exposure settings
<in the field over time?

<Having used both types of camera, there is no question in my mind that the
<Leica M provides the highest quality thru precision and dependability in the
<field in the long run. In the short run the pro automatics are very good
<indeed.

- --Even better, a R7 is much more accurate and constant.

<Battery dependent cameras have an eternal achilles heel, so we play a lottery
<when using them.

The only camera with wich I have problem regarding battery is the M6. If I cook
the shutter before putting the camera in my bag, often the next week-end there
no power anymore. That's never happen to me with a R7 or a Nikon.

<Inevitably, should Leica move to an electronic M7 we will
<see a deterioration in lens quality as barrels become lighter and all sorts
<of interconnects with body circuits take precedent over optical integrity.

- --I don't see why. Nobody is asking a autofocus M7. I think whe all want to use
our existing lenses.

<I think we will make the call on the future of the M's. We'll get what we
<prefer to buy. The acid test, so far, favors the mechanical M's in my humble
<experience.

Whe will see and I don't think that the M5 is a good example. It was made in a
time when electronic was not so miniaturized. But mine is still working
perfectly.(25 years after)

<Should Leica Solms go electronic in RF, I would hope that the
<mechanical M's would still remain the flagship of the Leica line.

- --There is not contradiction here.

<In fact, I hope that the M's would be available in an M3 configuration, with
choices of
<external and internal meters in the same models.

- --???

<All M models should feature hot shoes and that remarkable horizontal shutter.

- --A electronic M7 with that shutter will never give us a flash syncho of 250 or
a top speed of 4.000.

I continue to think that there is a market for both electronical an mechanical
Leica Ms.

Lucien