Subject: The Acid Test
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:55:13 -0500 (EST)

Shouldn't the decision whether Leica (Solms) should produce an electronic M7
vs maintaining the mechanical M's be based on which of these models would
produce the highest quality negatives and maintain accurate exposure settings
in the field over time?

Having used both types of camera, there is no question in my mind that the
Leica M provides the highest quality thru precision and dependability in the
field in the long run. In the short run the pro automatics are very good
indeed.

Battery dependent cameras have an eternal achilles heel, so we play a lottery
when using them. Inevitably, should Leica move to an electronic M7 we will
see a deterioration in lens quality as barrels become lighter and all sorts
of interconnects with body circuits take precedent over optical integrity.

I think we will make the call on the future of the M's. We'll get what we
prefer to buy. The acid test, so far, favors the mechanical M's in my humble
experience. Should Leica Solms go electronic in RF, I would hope that the
mechanical M's would still remain the flagship of the Leica line. In fact, I
hope that the M's would be available in an M3 configuration, with choices of
external and internal meters in the same models. All M models should feature
hot shoes and that remarkable horizontal shutter.

Bob R