Subject: Electronic shutters and delay time
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:40:37 -0800

> Norman Goldberg's excellent book "Camera Technology - The Dark Side of
> the Lens" discusses this. "In tests made of 40 different 35mm SLRs, I
> found them to have a time lag range of from 46 to 230 ms. The average was

> 120ms." ... "Leica M3(...): 17ms." Of course, the M3 does not have the
> exposure sensor apparatus that must be retracted, so I suspect the M4 has

> a longer time lag. And the shortest time lag he lists is the "Minox 35 EL

> (...): 8ms" which has aperture-preferred auto exposure and electronic
> shutter timing.

Thank you for the hard data....
I am not sure, but what kind of shutter does the Minox have? FP or another
kind?  If they are using a leaf shutter like the compur or prontor, then
the mass thast is being moved is considerably less than even the Leica.
Theefore the lag time should be less.
Please note that mass will directly affect the results... SLR's have a lot
going on, obviously more than a Leica M model.  And SLR's may have more
massive shutters...
Frank