Subject: Replacing Leica M Body Skin: Part 1: Materials
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:40:43 -0800

This became a do it yourself project......my mechanic wanted $85 to do the
labor... I'm pretty handy, so I took on the job myself.  Note that I will
have a good 5 hours ino this repair, so the $85 was a fair cost of his
time.

For all of you interested in the replacement of body skin ( Leather?
Vulcanite? Whatever?)
My experience from Leitz today:
Body skin replacement IS available.  Labor adds about $80 to the skin cost.
There is a die cut for M3 and another for M6... I do not know what other
bodies.  Buy directly from Leitz.
M3= $50 including back door skin..... Specific configurations of M3 have
different hole patterns....
M6= $40 including back door skin..... I wonder why it is less...???

The old Vulcanite from my M3 crystalized and was crumbling from the body.
My body is in the shop for an overhaul, so I am working on the body shell
without any mechanicals.

I removed the Vulcanite with care using a putty knife.  This took a good 2
hours using a lot of care not to gouge the body or myself.
I removed the old "glue" with acetone... in an open, outdoor area. Alcohol,
water and paint remover had littel to no effect.  Acetone seems to be the
best solvent that I have found.  The glue dissolves pretty readily, leaving
a really smooth body.  The paint or whatever makes an M3 interior black
does not dissolve in acetone.
The new skin comes with a peel and stick backing......

... more to come when I get the skin and try to align it to the body......

Thank You
Frank Filippone
red735i@worldnet.att.net