Subject: Re: The Oddmund Chronicles
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:00:11 -0800

alec@ibm.net wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:25:06 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >   From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
> >   Date: Mon, 24 Feb 97 01:44:42 -0800
> >
> > >  Americans usually get offended when people tell it like it is. And shooting
> > >  the messenger doesn't change the reality.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >But now that you have so obligingly characterized all Americans, I
> >think my point has been sufficiently well demonstrated.
> >

> Didn't he said USUALLY ?
> As T.S.Eliot put it, *humankind cannot bear very much reality*, and
> with Americans that goes double.
>
> Alec.

Alec & Oddmund,

In my experience Americans tend to blame themselves and take
responsibility for things that may not even be theirs.

If an American is critical of another nation or culture, we're considered
ignorant and bigoted and ethnocentric.  Yet if another culture is critical of
America or Americans, they think of themselves as perceptive and worldly.

It's a double standard.  People are people.  Some are good.  Some aren't.  All
cultures have some positives atributes.  All cultures have some negative
atributes.  All think of themselves as the highest order of civilization.

Truth is, we're all in this soup together providing different spices.

Donal Philby
San Diego