Subject: Re: The Acid Test
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:11:17 -0800

dwp@deltanet.com wrote:

> In <199702251014.LAA04568@mailbox.swip.net>, on 02/25/97 at 11:13 AM,
>    "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se> said:
>
> <snip>
>
> >I know a photographer who got an assignment in the early 1990:s to
> >illustrate a book about Paris in the HCB tradition. After a few weeks, he
> >realized that he had to use color negative film instead of slide film if
> >he wanted to use the M6. As he got home with his work showing it to the
> >editors, he was ordered to use fill in flash for the rest of the
> >assignment. Well, this shows the limits of the present M:s. It all
> >depends what type of pictures you are out to make!
>
> >Regards, Hans
>
> To me it shows a sad state of affairs when editors think they know more
> about making photographs than the photographer.  ... in the HCB tradition
> indeed!  HCB eschewed the look of artifical light.
>
> Regards, Dennis

I'll argue both ways.  Harry Gruyaert, Alex Webb,  David Alan Harvey, and
to some extent, Bill Allard are able to pull off natural light photography in
color with Leica Ms.  But it takes days and days.  I remember an interview
with Jay Maisel where he was asked how he finds such wonderful light.  He
answered,  "I wait."  But few clients, editorial or advertising, are willing
to pay for the "wait."

On the other hand, the smart flashes have changed the standards.  If we have
a better film, you'll want to use it.  So editors want saturated colors of
Velvia and the like and the reproduction ability of lighter shadows.

While HCB may have eschewed the look of artificial light, how many of us
would care to go back to the days before tyristors???, not to mention TTL
dial down fill flash.  Before the vivitar 283 I would do absolutely anything
to keep from using flash.

No, such things may not appeal to the purists, and black and white is a
whole 'nother world from critical color.

I am sure there were people who decried the "sad state of affairs" when
people switched from the big view cameras and their optical quality to
those tiny little Leicas.

I love to sail, but sometimes it is nice to have an engine aboard.

Donal Philby
San Diego