Subject: Re: Do you use filters?
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 97 20:13:03 -0800

>What are the groups habits/thoughts on using filters on Leica lenses.  Any
>special do's or dont's?

I tend to shoot B&W most of the time. I use Skylight 1a and UV filters
most of the time to reduce ultraviolet haze, I use orange, green, yellow
and red filters occasionally to alter the grayscale balance of various
scenes. When using color, I normally use Skylight 1a/1b to warm up shadow
tones which are bluish.

A poor filter ruins a good lens. I now use only Nikon, B+W and Heliopan
filters as my negatives have demonstrated to me that they do not degrade
a lens' quality if they're kept clean and not scratched.

Shooting without a filter you might get just a miniscule bit sharper
image (just one more set of glass surfaces to deal with, with inevitable
scatter results) but with good filters it's undetectable. Such
considerations are of little consequence for much of the photography I
do.

I also always use a lens hood. I find that has a much greater influence
in flare control and apparent sharpness than a good filter.

Godfrey