Subject: Tele-Elmar focusing, etc
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 12:20:45 +0100

<While most LUGgers eagerly await the "M7" and dream about the nearly
unobtainable M6J,I do not see that the 35-135 framing option <is superior
to the current 28-135mm choice. After all the rangefinder system is ideal
for focusing wide-angle lenses.Also it is very <convenient to work without
a separate 28mm finder.

The reason why I like the M6J-concept is of course because the 135 mm frame
area is larger. Focusing a 135 mm lens also becomes more secure because of
the larger magnification. I also like that the 35 mm area is larger in the
finder, as it is the most used lens. The M4P-M6 finder is a compromise, to
make everybody happy.
I always use a separate 28 mm finder on the M6, because the 28 mm finder
frames in reality show the image for a 30 mm lens. The separate finder also
gives the wide angle "depth", instead of the flat image in the usual
finder.
Only argument fo the M6 finder arrangement is that, when using the 35 mm,
you will see objects beside the finder frames. This is not that important
to me, but if it was, I could get a M3-35 mm lens (with the goggles", in
order to make the 35 mm finder frames smaller.
I would like to ask a Leica representative why the M6J cannot be produced
in larger numbers... In the good old days we could choose between the M2
and the M3, so why not today?

Regards, Hans