Subject: Re: Definitive Cleaning Materials & Techniques
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:49:22 +0100

I found the following a couple of weeks ago in a newsgroup (no need to reopen
the discussion on newsgroups again). Has any of our english friends ever used
it? I could not find it here. It sounds not bad that you don't have to wipe a
lot on the lens, however the chemistry might hurt the coating.

christoph

>Yes, OptiClean is indeed the best lens cleaner I have ever used. I
>obtained mine from the UK (it is made there). It looks like a small
>bottle of nail polish and is applied on the lens/filter in circular
>strokes. After leaving to cure for a few minutes, a sticky tab is
>applied on top of the cured film. Again, another short wait before
>tugging the tab away. This will lift the film off the lens and take with
>it any dust, grime, fingerprints etc., leaving a sparklingly clean lens.

>You need to ensure that during application, there is a 1mm gap left
>between the film and the edge of where the lens meets the barrel. If
>not, some of the film might remain stuck to the side.

>I hear that they use this to clean optical telescopes.

>Any photo shop in the UK (especially the big chains) should stock this.
>If you want the manufacturer's address, email me and I'll let you have
>it.

>regards,
>--
>Chi-Wei YAP                     Phone: +619 380 1592,7183     _--_|\
>Video Comms Research Group      Fax  : +619 380 1065         /      \
>Dept of Electrical Engineering                               *_.--._/
>University of Western Australia                                    v
>Crawley, WA 6907, AUSTRALIA     Email: cwyap@ee.uwa.edu.au

- --
 "I [..] am rarely happier then when spending an entire day programming
 my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise
 take me a good ten seconds to do by hand. Ten seconds, I tell myself,
 is ten seconds. Time is valuable and ten seconds' worth of it is well
 worth the investment of a days's happy activity working out a way to
 save it".             -- Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"