Subject: Definitive(??) Cleaning Materials & Techniques
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 23:02:52 +0000

Jack Campin wrote:

>Opticlean.  This stuff is a UK product introduced a few years ago; I don't
>know if it's made it to the US yet.  It's a polymer film that you apply in
>a syrupy solution with a small brush like nail varnish.  Let it dry, then
>press a sticky tab hard down onto it and use that as a "handle" to peel it
>off.  It takes the dirt with it.  No rubbing at all, brilliant result.
>Fairly expensive but worth it.

Not entirely wishing to contradict a fellow Scot, there ain't too much
wrong with bad breath and a chamois leather. Alternatively get a UV filter.

I rushed out this afternoon to buy USD10.00 of UV filter to protect rather
more than that in terms of 85/1.8 (classic/mint) Nikkor (sorry, off-topic,
but the principle's the same). I'd never dream of using fluids on any lens
unless recommended.

Sting in the tail, what do Leitz themselves recommend you do when you've
left your thumbprint on the lens??

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst