Subject: Re: Too Hot To Handle in Pop
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 23:20:44 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997 seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com wrote:

>      Hi,
>
>       I was browsing the articles in Too Hot To Handle in February 1997
>      issue of Popular Photography.  There Pop mentioned something about the
>      Leica lens legends,
>
>      "For example, when we recently tested the legendary 50mm f/2 Summicron
>      and 50mm f/2.8 Elmar made in Germany by Leica (November, '96 page 86),
>      we found their performance to be near the top of their class but
>      hardly in a class by themselves.  According to our SQF test (which are
>      based on MTF, the most accurate lens testing system in use), several
>      Japanese 50mm lenses from top makers equalled them and a few even
>      deged them out. ....."
>
>      What do you, Leica lovers including me, think about this comments?
>
>      Thanks,
>
>      David

Take it from one who knows....show me the photographs. There are none.
The tests mentioned are simulated and have nothing to do with putting
the lenses on the proper cameras and testing the combination of
camera and lens with good ole fashioned light sensitive film. And
then make prints. And then compare the picture results. Ed Meyers