Subject: Re: Too Hot To Handle in Pop
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 09:11:02 +0545 (+0545)

At 02:35 PM 97-03-06 PST, you wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>      I was browsing the articles in Too Hot To Handle in February 1997
>     issue of Popular Photography.  There Pop mentioned something about the
>     Leica lens legends,
>
>     "For example, when we recently tested the legendary 50mm f/2 Summicron
>     and 50mm f/2.8 Elmar made in Germany by Leica (November, '96 page 86),
>     we found their performance to be near the top of their class but
>     hardly in a class by themselves.  According to our SQF test (which are
>     based on MTF, the most accurate lens testing system in use), several
>     Japanese 50mm lenses from top makers equalled them and a few even
>     deged them out. ....."
>
>     What do you, Leica lovers including me, think about this comments?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     David

Hello David,

        I, for one, do not care in the slightest what Popular Photography
has to say about anything.  It is one of the worst magazines on the stands
today - unfortunately in Nepal it is the only photo mag on the stands so I
do read it.  After reading each one I swear I will never buy another but
boredom sets in it seems.  The magazine is poorly written, full of ads, the
photographs are terrible and every piece of equipment or film they try is
wonderful.  They are in the business of selling advertising space and work
very hard not to offend their clients.  Have you ever seen a Lecia ad in the
magazine?  They are not even consistant in the rating of equipment.  In the
December 96 issue they say -  "Leica lenses are the key element in
continuing the Leica M Legend.  Lenses unsurpassed for quality, and price!"
Which article do you believe?

        What is important to me is the quality of the image.  I know what
results I will get with my Leica lenses so I do not worry about what this
magazine has to say.

        Anyway, it is a beautiful, sunny day in Kathmandu and a special
festival day as well so I am off to tour the town loaded with lots of film.

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal