Subject: Re: 2 Cam lens on R
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 08:48:47 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 13:11:18 +0730 Tak Oka wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think that is the case with my R3 and Macro Elmarit 60mm f2.8.
>
>The instruction book tells that the lens should be equipped with a device
>that will be engaged with a lever of the body to activate the full-aperture
>metering.
>
>Unfortunately I bought my lens without it by mail order, and therefore I
>have to use the "field depth pre-view" button everytime I use the built-in
>meter. When I set the shutter speed control to "Automatic", I have to keep
>the field depth pre-view button pressed while I fire.
>
>I am not sure if what I am doing will heart my camera. Actually I seeked
>that information on this list but I had no reply. So if you find our
>something, please let me know if you don't mind.
>
>I learned that the conversion of the concrened device(come-back spring) on
>the old lens like mine is still available in the U.S. for UD$250, although
>I do not know the detail. If you are interested I can give you the e-mail
>address of the person who provided the information.
>
>I hope I could help some.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Tak Oka
>Kuala Lumpur

David:

Leicas (in their 'Handbook' state: "Lenses of the LEICAFLEX models [1 and 2
cam] must not be inserted in the LEICA R5 as this may lead to damage."  This
warning also appears in the instruciton books of my R5 and the R3 I
previously owned.   Tak Oka [above] seems to be getting away with it with
some success, and I have never had occasion to try it. Exactly what might go
wrong, I don't know.

Cheers!

David Young             |  There are no absolutes
Victoria, B.C. CANADA   |  in life. Of this I am
youngs@IslandNet.com    |  absolutely certain!