Subject: Re: Ikophot
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:43:19 -0500

At 11:31 AM 3/11/97 -0500, Bob R wrote:

>I own a splendid Ikophot, white model in a brown case, including gold chain,
>with incident light insert, and with every readout still around. I wouldn't
>sell it for no $10. I wouldn't sell it for $100. I use it with my Nikon F for
>B&W work. I believe it dates to the late 50's or early 60's. My brother
>bought it in Germany for use with his Rollei. It has Zeiss Ikon embossed on
>the outside and inside cover of the case in gold. It is very sensitive and so
>accurate that I check my in-camera meters against it. I replaced the gold
>chain with a sturdy neck cord. It has an adjustment screw in back which I
>never had to use. It's light and very handy. I think the case is made of real
>leather. Need I say more?

Well, it IS an excellent meter.  However Bob R values his own -- and an
owner is free, of course, to set his own price on his own gear -- these sell
all the time, working, at camera shows for $10 or $15.  I believe I paid $5
for mine.

These do, of course, date from the 1950's and were marketed into the 1960's.
And the Ikophot line have been covered in some detail in Kuc's
Contax-Geschichte and in his new book, in an article in the ZEISS HISTORICA
JOURNAL, and, of course, in that sterling work, Barringer and (ah-HEM)
Small, THE ZEISS COMPENDIUM.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!