Subject: Re: Leica as weapon
From: leica@purdue.edu (Jason Tetzloff)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:57:34 -0600

Dear list--

I have been lurking ont he list for almost 2 full years--perhaps a bit
longer.  I have listened patiently as folk have gone off on endless off
topic bits, all which sound kind of like a (male) juvenile "mine is bigger
than yours" contest.  I guess about no more than one-third of all of the
thousands of messages that I have read over the years actually had to do
with with the title of the group--Leica USERS group.  I could handle
that--it was amusing in some ways, and often entertaining.

I mailed Ben a note after his last message--those of you who know that Ben
and I and participated in one of the bitterest flame wars, know that I have
enjoyed his posts since he rejoined andthat we see pretty much eye to eye
on some things.  I wrote:

Ben--

Nice post about Oddmund. Oddmund could be a jerk, but no one could ever
argue that he didn't care for people, which for me is kind of the true
measure of a man.  Plus, he had convictions but he stood up for them and
apparently, he lived them too.   Plus, I am sorry to see you leave the
list, but I, too, am quiting.  I can handle the seemingly endless off-topic
bits on pens, guns, etc, but I find that I am very and increasingly
intolerant of parochialism of the sort displayed by Chuck.  It is almost
jingoism, and it isn't very humane or friendly.  Roger Beamon was also
guilty of this, and I miss him not at all for this reason, but he certainly
wasn't the only one.

Call me a bleeding heart liberal or what ever, but this list has gotten too
far off its assigned purpose to justify the time that it takes.  SOme of it
I will miss, most of it I won't.  A few individuals who I have written to
personally I have enjoyed meeting, but it is clearly time to go.

Jason Tetzloff

Dr. Jason M. Tetzloff
Visiting Assistant Professor
Dept. of History, Purdue University