Subject: Re: 70-180mm 2,8 versus 80-200mm 4
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:04:52 -0800

Lucien,

Don't know much about the 70-180 except it is heavy and the view through
it is crystal clear.  My assistant said it was looking as though there
were no glass at all.  But haven't shot with it.

I have however, had a chance to shoot with the new 80-200 on loan from
Leica and found that it compared in contrast, flare control (or lack
of), and sharpness, with the Nikkor 80-200.  Very slight edge to the
Leica.  The Leica is twice the price, doesn't have a great mechanical
feel.  I understand it is manufactured in Japan to hit the price point
needed for sales.  However, considering that the Nikkor 80-200 is
considered one of the "great" nikkors, the Leica should be acceptable
for most applications.  Frankly, I prefer the operation of the Nikkor.

The 70-180 is, I'm sure, a big step up.   I just don't have that much
money to stand on right now.

Donal Philby
San Diego