Subject: Re: 70-180mm 2,8 versus 80-200mm 4
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 12 Mar 97 09:43:19 EST

<<What kind of photography are you doing?>>>>

Good morning Lucien,

I'm a photojournalist and shoot all over the place. Mainly people working and
doing things , much of it in the forest related industries the past year. That's
from guys cutting trees in the bush to the executives in office and sawmill
workers.

<<<I'm a little bit anxious about the weight (travel) and the slowness of the
focusing (portrait).>>>>>>

It might be a tad heavy for back packing, but you say you will use it with the
2X and that is an excellent combination, as I have used it that way quite often
rather than carry the 280mm 2.8.  I'm not sure what you mean about slowness of
focus, as I can focus mine simply by placing one finger with slight pressure
against the ring and it rolls very smoothly and quickly. I also use it for
editorial portraits and it's great because it is slightly smaller than the
80-200, it's easier to handle.

My choice would still be the 70-180 2.8 because it is faster and the stop makes
a major difference sometimes in getting the exposure or not.  If you don't need
the speed and you do not work wide open aperture very often, then obviously save
the money and get the f.4.80-200.

The speed/cost of any lens should determine more of why you spend the money or
not, simply because if you stop down for most of your picture taking why waste
money on a fast lens?

In my case, I do so much work wide open or one stop down because I use  the
highest possible shutter speed and the widest possible aperture whenever I don't
need a great deal of depth.  Keeps your subject completely separated from the
background, which on most occasions you only need as a mush of colour anyway.

ted grant
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant