Subject: Re: Cruising for snaps
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:34:16 -0500

>In this medieval town of Chinon where I am living, between the Castle and
>the Vienne River, I am walking with a camera in the pocket, and my youngest
>son on the back. Far away from my native mountains of Telemark, Norway, far
>away from Himalaya, drowned in this quiet landscape so full of History. This
>is 'Le Jardin de France', picturesque, full of harmony and good things, and
>with wine yards as far as you can see.
>
>It's getting warm. Spring is here, green and new. Winter is gone. We smile
>and look at the sun. I took away my beard a couple of days ago, and bought
>50 liters of red wine in the nearest village. I cleaned up my cave, and
>started pouring wine into, nice, green bottles. My wife came back from a
>walk that day, with beautiful flowers from the fields. The children were
>playing just outside the house. I didn't take any pictures. We have enough
>to eat, plenty of books and memories, and we love each other. What more can
>we ask for?
>
>I woke up early this morning, and the light was magic. I went off trying to
>collect this magic on tiny strips and sleeves of Tri-X. I brought the "new"
>4x5 in. pinhole camera. It's so simple, and it captures the light without
>bothering me. It has become my favorite camera, for landscapes. Then I
>always have the Contax in the pocket, for images of life. This one never
>betrayed me either. Leica or Contax, they are good both of them. All cameras
>are "good", when your eyes and your soul are humble, when your brain is
>clear, and your heart is clean. When you love life and have faith in humanity.
>
>I came home and picked up the e-mail. In the morning light I had forgotten
>about the LUG and all the stories these days. Spring makes you flee from it.
>I have been wondering what I am actually doing at the LUG, subscribing,
>unsubscribing, subscribing again. Most of you are fine people, but there are
>a few who keeps yakking about the same darn stuff all the time. My presence
>at the LUG and my ideas seem to 'offend' them, and it's turning round and
>round like this without much progress. It's sad when you can't enjoy the
>good aspects because they are so far outshadowed by the bad.
>
>All the best!
>
>Oddmund
>Chinon, France
>---
>Oddmund Garvik - <garvik@i-t.fr>
>Today's topic - Chinon, where I'm living and making some of my images.
>http://www.virtual-france.com/chinon.htm

Oddmund-

Doesn't spring get to you every year? I know EXACTLY when spring arrives--
it's when I can't stand it any longer and have to lug out the 4x5 and try
to do pitiful and insufficient justice to the overwhelming beauty and
courage of the plants who triumph year in and year out. What a wonder and
delight it all is!

We're still struggling here with the last throes of winter in the
northeastern USA, but soon Father Spring will win out and out will come the
buds and the tripod and the camera and the film holders and the light
meter. I can't wait-- but I must. (I took the dogs out today to play and in
ten minutes I was frozen!)

Your 4x5 with pinhole: do you use film or paper? What film, if you use it?
Do you do any compensation for lighting contrast in the developing? How did
you make/acquire your pinhole "lens"?

Fifty liters? Of what? I just bought 64 liters of California (eat-your
heart-out!) burgundy and thought myself a king!

Forget the Bad. Enjoy and celebrate the Good. Contribute! (And expect to
get an arrow in the ass every now and then.)

Oh, for spring to come!

Robert