Subject: Re: A Puzzlement!!!
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:14:58 -0800

Robert,

At the moment, the most versatile, easy to use, acceptable quality would
be an N90s, a 35-70 f/2.8 and an SB26 with off camera extension cord.
And a spare body (an 8008 will do).  Plus an older MF 20mm.  Cheap,
pretty contrasty for scenics, small.

I would recommend a R7 and 35-70 as similar quality except that,
maddeningly , the lens doesn't focus close enough.

Given the budget:  Two M6s and 24, 35 and 90 and small Vivitar strobe.

Also important:  A Gitzo carbon fiber mountaineer with a ball head and
quick release clamp.  And quick release plates on cameras.  Spare meter
with incident capabilities.  Travel underwear from Tilley and maybe
clothes, because though they may not win fashion awards, wash and dry by
air overnight and don't need ironing, so you could get by on minimal
clothing.  A small notebook that fits in camera bag for caption
material.  Rubbermaid 2 cups "servin' saver" containers that hold 19
rolls of unboxed, uncanned film in see through safety (and trouble free
through airport security).  One large polarizing filter, one 81B filter
and one FLD or 30 Magenta filter with step down rings as necessary.  One
Rosco Plus Green and two 1/8 CTO warming gels cut to fit strobe and
fitting with gaffers tape (store on strobe head).  One Willis and Geiger
jacket/vest designed by/for photographers. Domke bag big enough to
handle the camera gear, all the film for the trip and the notebook.
Marmot down vest with built in storing pocket.  One cup travel coffee
maker (got mine at Starbuck's Coffee; $30, invaluable at 4:30 when
getting up for sunrise!).   Model releases in appropriate languages ISee
Location Photographers Handbook by Ken Haas)  A card printed and
laminated in local language that says:  "Hello.  I am a photographer and
would like to include you in a photograph.  May I have your
permission?"  Tylenol PM to help you sleep in strange surroundings.

Optional:  Romantic mate, but only if you can find one with whom you are
very, very comfortable, who doesn't talk much and who doesn't need to
have breakfast or dinner at normal hours and requires minimal
maintenance.  Language and negotiating skills a plus.  Large red
windbreaker (old Nat. Geographic trick) for putting on models in
landscape.