Subject: Re: Lenses for CL
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:36:38 +0000

On 14 Mar 97 at 15:38, Simon Ogilvie wrote:

> Also, I've been told that the 90mm f4 lens that is intended for the CL is a
> restricted f2.8 Elmarit, and close examination of the aperture blades seems to
> confirm this.  Why would Leica have done this?  Someone suggested to me that
> this is something to do with the limitations of the rangefinder, but other
> than a lens physically blocking the rangefinder I can see that any lens could
> be a problem.  As the ff Elmar-C is a lot cheaper secondhand than the f2/8
> Elmarit it would seem to be a bargain, especially if it were possible to
> modify the lens in some way to remove the aperture restriction (Willem-Jan?
> :-).

FWIW, I just learned that some cheaper binoculars have a fixed diafragm to
improve optical quality (or better: disguise a lousy one) at the
expense of light transmission and pupil diameter. Sad.

Ah well....just send me the lens and I'll modify it....8-))

Willem (I might end up with some left over parts though) Jan

- --
Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

      The desire to understand
is sometimes far less intelligent than
     the inability to understand