Subject: Re: M/R
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 17 Mar 97 20:12:33 EST

<<< during the years I have noticed that many use M cameras for B&W and R
cameras for color. >>>>>>>

Hi Dick,

I think it pprobably has something to do with the simple mystique of the M
evolving around so many of the  big names of photojournalism and the HCB type of
shooters.

When I did my book I used cameras and lenses of both models.  Although I did
more shooting with the M overall, as I primarily used the R's and longer lenses
in the OR allowing me to reach into the hands and faces of the surgeons and
nurses without getting into the sterile area of the operating table.

Interesting point as I imagine I haven't shot more than a dozen rolls of colour
through the M's in thrity years, just never occired to me to do so. And it
wasn't due to any fixed mental reasons as I just never occured to use colour.

There may be some influence with the R's where you appreciate the colour
composition more so on the isolated ground glass, than in the reality of the M
viewfinder.  Also think the different lenses have a similar effect of the
subject and colour.

<<<<Is there some reason for this inherent in the lens quality of the M as
compared with the R, or what?>>>>>

I don't think the lenses make any difference M or R in relation to the film.

ted grant
Victoria, Canada,
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant