Subject: Moral Issues
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 14:46:05 -0500

Odmund,

I'm not sure that I fully understand your position, but I fail to
understand the moral issue which you present.  Of the 6 billion souls
currently on the planet there is a wide divergence of economic, social
and political situations.  I count myself as likely among the most
economically advantaged, but I do not feel any guilt as a consequence.

Certainly I own Leicas as well as other posessions which are far in
excess of the lifetime assets of millions around the world.  But, what
of it?  I do many things in my business and personal life to try and
make the world a better place, including donations to social causes
which I support.  To not take my Leica to India and use it in taking
photographs would be as hypocritical as giving the Leica to that
farmer.  In fact, it would be moraly repugnant to me to even get rid of
the Leica because there are people for whom the value of that Leica is
essentially incomprehensible.

Finally, it seems to me that "needs vs wants" is something that only the
individual can decide in the context of their own personal relationship
to the world around them.

Michael

>A farmer in India, for instance, would at least have to work for ten years to earn what we paid for an M6. In >this perspective the fundamental idea, Needs vs Wants, also becomes a moral one.
Michael H. Reichmann
E-mail:	michael.reichmann@alphanet.net