Subject: Re: Leicas: morality vs. shopping
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 09:10:10 -0800

At 08:06 AM 3/22/97 -0600, you wrote:
>O.K. i've gotten drawn in...
>
>the expensive art machines we're talking about don't have to be
>expensive.  i've got 4 bodies, i don't know how many lenses, an armful
>of filters and a goofy assortment of accessories.  However, they were
>all bought carefully, over time and with one exception were all used and
>affordable for me at the time. all well bought.  (after finding a nomura
>28mm sm for little $$$, i just had to have a viewer, which cost more
>than the lens and i still regret because i have seldom use for a 28).
>
>for me there is no choice but to shoot leicas.
>
>as a street shooter, the quietness and ease of use are essential.  even
>shooting portraits, i've found the little click of an m-3 at 1/30 or
>1/60th actually relaxes my subjects.
>
>yes, the little rollei is quiet, but there is no rf, addn'tl lenses etc.
>same with my old 2 1/4 minolta autocord and some other cameras hanging
>around...
>
>if you are fretting about shooting in a poor country with an expensive
>camera, you are probably too nervous to even use it - feeling what you
>believe to be jealous eyes on you.  this is a form of narcissism and is
>going to stop you from getting a meaningful picture just as much if you
>had left the camera in your fancy hotel or with 'the driver'.
>
>dropping the barriers between you and 'the other', your subject, is
>lesson #1 in making photographs that are universal (think Eugene Smith).
>so, if you're hung up on whether or not you 'deserve' your own camera,
>or whether the person you are shooting is going to steal it or not - you
>aren't engaged in what you are really doing - sharing a moment of
>genuine humanity, which is going to be captured on film until you bring
>it back to life on paper in the darkroom.
>
>if anything - ANYTHING - gets in the way (meters, noise, your selfish
>heart), you are not going to be able to capture sincere moments that
>will add to ouvre of representational, 'art of the split second'
>(lisette model) work.
>
>i understand there are camera collectors out there, that's fine and not
>a moral issue.  morality and ethics when photographing in impoverished
>areas start with intent.  if you honestly can look at another human
>being and feel them within you, perhaps then you deserve to pick up the
>camera, not as some detached observer.
>
>this is what the leica enables because it's so easy to use it becomes
>transparent.  (and why it's so important, where possible, to practice to
>the point where you don't need a light meter)
>
>the other is your brother.  if you are a thief and are 'taking' his
>picture, he might as well 'take' your camera.
>
>or get a point and shoot you don't care about until you know what you
>are doing.
>
>Note: the above is a general reaction to some of the recent threads
>running around in this group.  i don't pay attention to names and such,
>so is not specifically directed.
> [...]

Very very well said. A masterpiece.

I've found that while taking pictures, people generally only know you are
using a camera. Very very few recognize one brand of camera from another.
And it doesn't make any difference what part of the world you're in. I've
found that the only people that recognize the "Leica" camera are other
fairly serious photographers.

I second your vote.

Jim