Subject: Re: Leica Alternatives--Reliability
From: Steve <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:27:10 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> Stephen Gandy wrote:
>

> <<<SELF DESTRUCT LENSES:  Even with regular and careful maintenance, Leica
> Lenses of the 50's and 60's suffer from an incredible fogging problem like no
> other lenses ever.>>>>>>
>
> May I ask where you acquired this information? Because as far as I'm concerned
> it is a bunch of poppycock nonsense and I say that from experience of owning and
> working with this gear for a very long time.

Leica lenses of this period are FAMOUS for fogging.  If you haven't
experienced it, it could be because of the weather conditions in your
area or your storage conditions.  Or it could be that like a lot of
people, you simply haven't noticed it.  Holding the lens up to the light
will not accurately show the condition of the glass.  Shine a small
bright flashlight through both ends of your lenses and find out what you
see then.  I acquired this information by buying and selling hundreds of
Leica Lenses.  90% of them I buy in the LA area must be cleaned before
sale.

If you think I am imagining the fogging problem,  call Don Chatterton.
He will likely  be as amused by your attitude as I am.   If you don't
know about it, it doesn't exist.
Right you are Ted.

> <<<SELF DESTRUCT SHUTTERS: Leica Screw Mount bodies have original shutter
> curtains which self destruct over a 30-40 year time span.  The rubberized
> material cracks and must be replaced.>>>>>
>
> Do you have any idea how many thousands of rolls a working photographer would
> pump through a camera in that period of time? Hell I would have just worn the
> camera out long before the 30-40 years. Come on get serious, hell I've got a
> Leica made in 1932 an it works just fine today and having looked through the
> lens and a few I own from the '50s and I don't see any thing you are talking
> about!

You are missing the point.  The number of rolls have nothing to do with
it.  The point is that the Leica screwmount curtain material is inferior
to the Canon and Nikon of the same period.  IF your shutter curtain is
original from 1932, it is one of the very few still working with its
ORIGINAL shutter curtain.  Did you buy it in 1932?  If not, can you be
sure it has not already been replaced?

> I'm sure the many collectors in here will feel just hully gully over the
> information, but it's almost of no use to someone it works the bejeezeeas out of
> his Leica's and has done so for many years.

Again Ted, you are missing the point.   As stated early in my original
post, a camera which has regular CLA will be functional for years.  The
information is useful for someone buying a used Leica and for someone
who wishes to compare Leica to its competition.

Stephen Gandy